Fire at Marchmont sheltered housing complex

posted 25 Jan 2012, 06:18 by Alistar Frater
A 99-year-old woman was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire in her Edinburgh home in the early hours of the morning (25 January).

The fire, which started in the fuse box, broke out at 4.40am at Homeross House just off Strathearn Road. A smoke alarm sounding raised the alarm.

Fire crews were quickly at the scene and extinguished the blaze using two firefighters in breathing apparatus and a CO2 extinguisher. A thermal imaging camera was used to detect any fire spread.

The woman, who was suffering from smoke inhalation, was given oxygen by firefighters before being treated by ambulance crews. She did not require to go to hospital.

A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said: “Fortunately the blaze was detected quickly by a working smoke alarm and extinguished by fire crews. The elderly householder was treated with oxygen for smoke inhalation but did not need to go to hospital.
“When crews arrived they discovered the flat was filling with smoke. Fire can break out at any time. A working smoke detector is the best protection against fire giving you early warning to escape from toxic smoke and raise the alarm.

“If you have elderly relatives or friends please check that they have a working smoke detector. If they are living without one, we can help by fitting a free smoke alarm as part of a home safety visit. This is a free service available to residents in Lothian and Borders. To book contact us today on 0800 169 0320.”

Comments