History‎ > ‎Nether Liberton‎ > ‎

Nether Liberton Village

As well as the working mill, nearby there was also a brewery, which was still in operation in 1789, when it was advertised for sale as a going concern. Because of these industries, fed by the water of the fast-flowing burn, Nether Liberton was a fairly bustling village, which in 1800 had over 200 inhabitants, and boasted a weekly market around the Market Cross, which was situated on the rising ground to the north of Gilmerton Road, by Old Mill Lane.

There were several pubs in the village, including the Virgin Inn, which operated up to 1820 and Nether Liberton House , also licenced to sell liquor, up to 1850. The village also had a school, and a schoolhouse. For entertainment in the community, each year, a Carter's Play was held in the village, during which horse races were held on the Gilmerton Road, attracting people from the city to see the fun.

The road between Nether Liberton and Liberton Dams was not built until 1815. The bridge carrying the Liberton Road over the Braid Burn at the end of Mid Liberton estate was erected in that year by the Trustees of Lasswade District, who wanted to improve access from the south to Edinburgh.

[ Nether Liberton ]

We are grateful to Colin Symes for Liberton information reproduced from his website - www.colinsymes.u-net.com.

Comments