Bridgend Medieval Chapel


Community Archaeology Project



The building centre of this photograph may be the remains of a medieval chapel.


An archaeological excavation is to be undertaken by Rubicon Heritage Services at Bridgend on the Old Dalkeith Road, commencing the week of 9th June 2014. This follows extensive research by the members of the Greater Liberton Heritage Project, into the chapel's history and it's possible location. Research strongly suggests that a chapel built by Sir Simon Preston of Craigmillar in 1518 ‘for the souls’ health of James III and IV remains standing today.

The existence of the chapel has been, and is still, part of the local oral tradition. White’s history of the area written in 1792 reports it as being used as stables but wrongly credits its building to James V. Evidence that the builder was Sir Simon Preston was found in the Craigmillar papers in the National Archives of Scotland. The ordinance surveyor's report in 1853 states that it was being used as a labourer’s house.  A medieval church font found at the site by the former owner farmer Harry Darling adds evidence. (The font has been donated to the Museum of Edinburgh)

The paper research was followed by an archaeological survey in 2013 which supported the likelihood that walls of the chapel remain within the farm buildings and as a result funding  was obtained by way of  a Sharing Heritage Grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.  The excavation will seek to find dating and structural evidence which will support the research.
On Thursday 12th June 2014  between 2.30 p.m. and 4.00 p.m. the site will be open to the public to view progress.

 The project is also supported by Edinburgh City Council.

 



     

 

 

Dr Margaret Collingwood

Greater Liberton Heritage Project
May 2014

Comments